Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs

For over six months now if not longer, I have been dreaming up this recipe. I LOVE meatballs. I'll take a meatball over sausage any day! In fact I love them so much, that when we are out for Italian, you better believe no matter what I've ordered I always ask for a side of meatballs.

I found a super healthy route to meatballs since they are high in fat and calories with regular beef, bread crumbs, and the other goodies mixed in. I have switched all my ground beef recipes to ground turkey or bison. Then to trick myself I add spinach and rolled oats to my ground meat recipes. This gives me a great boost of iron, fiber and all the other healthy adds to the mix. Did I mention I even throw some egg substitute in over a regular egg? Call me crazy, but I am married to the pickiest flavor eater ever! He notices simple changes, but when it comes to this recipe, he LOVES it :)

I thought now why not stuff the meatball with a big ball of cheese? How fun would that be!




Ingredients:

1 lb Ground Turkey (or meat of your choice)
1/4 Red onion, diced
1/4 C Rolled Oats
1/4 C Egg Substitute (or 1 egg)
1/4 C Spinach, chopped
salt and pepper, pinch of each
Parmesean Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:

Mix your meat together with all ingredients, by hand!



Cut your cheese into small cubes




Make a patty, like a hamburger patty, press your cheese into the middle and wrap meat mixture around the cheese.




Brown each side of your meatballs in a little Olive Oil. Lookout these are HUGE meatballs!






Bake your meatballs at 375 for 20 minutes


Remove meatballs from baking sheet, put back into your browning pan over a med-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Turn heat to med-low, add your marinara sauce. Heat until sauce is warmed.






Cheesey Goodness






Even though I'm Italian, I'm not a big pasta eater. I will eat the meatballs in sauce all by themself! Add pasta if you would like, plate up with a couple meatballs, and sprinkle Parmesean on top!
YUMMY!!


Recipe makes about 8-9 large meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment