Wednesday, March 2, 2011

BLT Salad w/ Creamy Avacado Dressing

I LOVE avacados. Love everything about them. I make a mean guacamole and would happily eat the whole entire bowl without chips. I came across a sweet recipe for a BLT Salad with a creamy avacado dressing, which not only looked great, but is healthy for you too. If you have ever had Greek Yogurt you know how bitter it tastes. Super healthy for you, because mainly all of the sugar is gone, but oh so bitter. This recipe calls for Greek Yogurt and here is where my changes come in. I agree to use yogurt in the recipe to keep it healthy, but I would stick to the Light n Fit yogurt over the Greek to give it a bit of sweetness.



YUMMY


Creamy Avacado Dressing, definitely play with your flavors of this super awesome dressing



BLT SALAD


My husband had his eyes planted on the Purdue vs Illini game while I worked to chop up all the needed vegetables for this salad. Everytime I would chop I'd hear him yelling at the TV. All I could think was get this done now so he'll get quiet! Thankfully Purdue won the game!
I'm going to share the recipe as found, by Jenny Grothe author of FitJen, recipes for Gals in figure and bodybuilding and add my twisted suggestions.
RECIPE
Makes 6 Servings
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tomatoes, sliced
  • 12 C Romaine lettuce
  • 1 1/2 C Celery, sliced ** My husband is not a fan of celery in his salad, so this is optional! However celery burns major calories!
  • 6 slices Turkey Bacon
  • 12 oz cooked, cubed Chicken
  • 1/2 sliced White Onion **I prefer Red Onion :) WAY more flavor, not a bad aftertaste!
Dressing
  • 1 minced Garlic clove
  • 1 medium Avacado
  • 1/2 C Greek Yogurt ** Make at your own risk, but I highly suggest Light N Fit
  • 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash Mesquite Spices **1 tsp Maple Smokehouse McCormick flavor
  • dash of ground pepper
Directions:
Chop lettuce, onion, tomato, and celery, set aside arranged in 6 bowls. Cook bacon. Cube Chicken. Add to bowls distributed evenly. Blend avacado, yogurt, lemon juice, and spices. Drizzle over the Salads.
Nutritional info per the original recipe:
Calories 255 per serving.
FAT 5.7g
Cholesterol 46.25 mg
Sodium 194.17mg
Carbs 21.36mg
Fiber 8.8g
Sugar 12g
Protein 25.44g

No comments:

Post a Comment