Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chocolate Chip Irish Soda Bread

I know I'm a health nazi and I owe this blog many healthy recipes that I make, but for now we'll go with what I do for my cheat meals :) I do enjoy them after all! In honor of St. Patricks Day I decided to make a full Irish dinner and dessert! I have corned beef, cabbage, and red potatoes cooking in the crock pot and Bailey's Irish Cream Pie w/ Oreo Crust setting in the fridge!

To go with my Irish meal I wanted to make Irish Soda Bread, but one problem.... I hate raisins! Did I mention I am a picky eater? Yes, I'm not a raisin, fish, or mayo fan! There are more items on that list, but for now we'll move on. I got my Irish Soda Bread recipe out and thought what can I replace the raisins with... looked into my pantry... and sure enough I found chocolate chips! Why not right? Every can use a little chocolate in their bread, after all if you visit France you will find the best Chocolate croissants. The Chocolate oozes out of the croissant, so imagine this being a French twist on Irish Soda Bread.

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and spray your bread loaf pan with a good cooking spray. It's important to use a loaf pan for this recipe.

2. Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another, melt the butter separately


Ingredients:

  • 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 Cups Buttermilk
  • 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
  • 1.5 Cups Chocolate Chips

3. Mix the Chocolate Chips into the dry ingredients
** this keeps them from falling to the bottom of your bread**

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, add the melted butter and mix away with a good spatula until everything in incorporated.

5. Pour into your loaf pan and bake for 60-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
** You might find some melted chocolate on your toothpick, which is okay





This is yummy goodness :)




Fresh out of the oven!


Slice it up and serve with dinner! It's almost like a dessert, but on St. Patricks Day you must get your Irish Cream Pie~ that's my next blog :)
YUM, Enjoy! Happy St. Patricks Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment