Friday, February 25, 2011

Key Lime Pie By Lyndsi

Currently my favorite Food Network star is Ina Garten.  She is the Barefoot Contessa. She and her husband Jeffrey owned Barefoot Contessa, a specialty foods store in the Hamptons for 20 years. She sold the store and now has her own food network show, 'Barefoot Contessa.' 

While I do think she and Jeffrey are super cute and love her recipes. I'm still very concious of my health and I realize flavor is important (thank you husband for making that clear to me!) That being said I am always looking for ways to replace sugars, butters and other non-figure friendly ingredients in my recipes without anyone really noticing a flavor difference.

I'm going to start here by giving the full blown Frozen Key Lime Pie recipe by Ina Garten.  I believe you need to try the recipe first, then as your round 2 you can replace it with ingredients you find healthier.

This is an awesome Key Lime Pie- so yummy!   I think the next time I will make it without the eggs, considering they are raw eggs in this recipe.  Maybe Splenda, Stevia, or Truvia instead of the Sugar. That would be my healthy alternative suggestions.  I might suggest a light Cool Whip if you dont have time for the homemade topping.

Enjoy :)

Ingredients

For the crust:

  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (10 crackers)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:

  • 6 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
  • 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 to 5 limes)
**** I used real key limes rather than lime. They are smaller, more tart, and take longer to make your juice as well as zest- but if you dare, give the real stuff a shot!

For the decoration:

  • 1 cup (1/2 pint) cold heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Thin lime wedges

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Press into a 9-inch pie pan, making sure the sides and the bottom are an even thickness. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

For the filling, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for 5 minutes, until thick. With the mixer on medium speed, add the condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice. Pour into the baked pie shell and freeze.

For the decoration, beat the heavy cream on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until firm. Spoon or pipe decoratively onto the pie and decorate with lime. Freeze for several hours or overnight

1 comment:

  1. Ok I know I'm the Mom, and the coadmin in Soup's On, but I have to say that is a great review and I couldn't agree more with Hal on use the ingredients as it calls for it and then change it up on Round 2. Sounds Awesome, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete